Terms of participation
2.Requirements for participants and thesis
7.Acknowledgement of the best theses
8.Submission of documents
The organizer of ICT thesis contest is TTÜ School of Information Technologis in collaboration with TTÜ Development Fund and ICT field entrepreneurs. The competition is supported by Information Technology Foundation for Education’s Study IT in Estonia programme.
2. Requirements for participants and thesis
All students from TTÜ School of Information Technologies whose Bachelor’s or Master’s theses are close to being completed, can take part of the contest.
The final paper presented to the contest must meet the following requirements:
- must be written in English or Estonian;
- must be permitted for public defence (the defence of the final paper is not closed);
- must meet TTÜ School of Information Technologies requirements for theses.
3. Contest categories
Presented theses compete in the following categories:
| || |
The competition category should be determined when submitting the application.
4. Competition stages
The competition is held in two stages – pre-stage and final stage.
I stage, pre-stage:
- the committee will look through submitted applications and theses. If the committee finds that the subject of the thesis does not fit into the chosen category, the committee has the right to relocate the thesis in the appropriate category;
- the committee will choose up to 16 Bachelor’s and up to 18 Master’s theses based on presented applications, cover letters and final papers, which will go through to the final stage;
- if the student has qualified (or not qualified) to the next stage, he or she will be informed via e-mail by 29 May 2017.
II stage, final stage:
- will be held on 1st of June;
- the competition will take into account good practice of academic defence;
- each contestant will present a defence speech that will give an overview of the following aspects: the purpose of the thesis, the reasoning behind its choice (actuality), used methodology, main conclusions and propositions, summary. The presentation must clearly show the student’s own contribution to the work done;
- BSc thesis defence speech should be presented in Estonian or English and last max 7 min;
- MSc thesis defence speech must be presented in English and last max 10 min;
- after the speech, a 5-10-minute question and answer round will follow from the committee and the audience.
The pre-stage committee is composed of representatives of School of IT programmes. In the final stage, the committee consists of at least 5 members and in addition to university representatives, specialty experts from companies may also be included. During the final stage, each category is evaluated by a different committee. Committee decisions are taken on the basis of a discussion. All decisions accepted by the committee cannot be appealed in neither of the stages.
All final papers presented to the competition will be evaluated on the following key points: establishment and comprehensibility of the assignment(s), technical realization of the solutions presented, their accuracy, originality and novelty. Presentation skills are also evaluated.
7. Acknowledgement of the best theses
A winner for each category will be chosen from the presented theses in the final stage. Exception is the BSc level software category, where the committee has the right to choose up to two best theses. In addition, the evaluating committee has a right to give out a special prize in each category. The committee also has a right to not give out the special prize with a valid justifications.
Each category winner is awarded with a scholarship of 500€. The special prize is 200€ for BSc and 300€ for MSc. ICT thesis competition scholarship fund is 4300€.
The scholarship fund has been co-financed by: AS Kühne+Nagel and Study IT in Estonia Programme.
In addition to the overall scholarship fund, there are additional company-named scholarships:
- the amount of the scholarship is 500€;
- the purpose of the grant is to highlight theses that deal with hardware topics;
- the scholarship is awarded as an undivided amount to one student;
- the grant is given to an outstanding thesis of MSc hardware and systems category.
- the amount of the scholarship is 500€;
- the purpose of the grant is to highlight master's theses that deal with such topics as software, Data Security and Business Intelligence;
- the scholarship is awarded as an undivided amount to student, who has writen an outstanding master's thesis in MSc software category.
- the amount of the scholarship is 300€;
- the purpose of the grant is to highlight master's theses that deal with such topics as software, productivity and Artificial Intelligence (AI);
- the scholarship is awarded as an undivided amount to student, who has writen an outstanding master's thesis.
In case of the additional scholarships from entrepreneurs, the decision is made by the funder of the scholarship or by their authorized representative. The company has a right to not give out the scholarship with a valid justification.
- 1st - 15th of May – period for submitting formal application, supervisor’s cover letter and thesis*;
- 29th of May - organizers announce who has qualified (or not qualified) to the final stage;
- 31st of May – submit defence speech slideshow and the updated version of the thesis** digitally to iktkonkurss at ttu dot ee;
- 1st of June – ICT thesis contest (final stage).
* Does not have to be the final version of the thesis, but it has to include a clear research assignment, its solution, main conclusions and propositions.
** In case you have updated your thesis paper significantly compared to the version presented on May 16th.
- Documents (supervisor’s cover letter, thesis, presentation) should be submitted via TTÜ Development Fund’s web form.
- The documents must be in pdf format and named as follows: “code of curriculum_first name_last name_cover letter/thesis_title of the thesis/presentation”.
Competition results will be announced on 1st of June by the end of the day and also will be published on the competition’s website.
The competition is organized by the TUT Faculty of Information Technology with Information Technology Foundation for Education's IT Academy programme.