Terms of participation
2.Requirements for participants and thesis
7.Acknowledgement of the best theses
8.Submission of documents
The organizer of ICT thesis contest is TUT Faculty of Information Technology in collaboration with TUT Development Fund and ICT field entrepreneurs. The competition is supported by Information Technology Foundation for Education’s IT Academy programme.
2. Requirements for participants and thesis
All students from TUT Faculty of Information Technology whose Bachelor’s or Master’s theses are close to being completed, can take part of the contest.
The final paper presented to the contest must meet the following requirements:
- must be written in English or Estonian;
- must be permitted for public defence (the defence of the final paper is not closed);
- must meet TUT Faculty of Information Technology requirements for theses (see specific requirements of the institute, where the thesis is going to be defended).
3. Contest categories
Presented theses compete in the following categories:
| || |
The competition category should be determined when submitting the application.
4. Competition stages
The competition is held in two stages – pre-stage and final stage.
I stage, pre-stage:
- the committee will look through submitted applications and theses. If the committee finds that the subject of the thesis, however, does not fit into the chosen category, the committee has the right to relocate the thesis in the appropriate category;
- the committee will choose up to 16 Bachelor’s and up to 18 Master’s theses based on presented applications, cover letters and final papers, which will go through to the final stage;
- if the student has qualified (or not qualified) to the next stage, he or she will be informed via e-mail by 30 May 2016.
II stage, final stage:
- will be held on 2th of June;
- the competition will take into account good practice of academic defence;
- each contestant will present a defence speech that will give an overview of the following aspects: the purpose of the thesis, the reasoning behind its choice (actuality), used methodology, main conclusions and propositions, summary. The presentation must clearly show the student’s own contribution to the work done;
- BSc thesis defence speech should be presented in Estonian or English and last max 7 min;
- MSc thesis defence speech must be presented in English and last max 10 min;
- after the speech, a 5-10-minute question and answer round will follow from the committee and the audience.
The pre-stage committee is composed of representatives of IT Faculty programmes. In the final stage, the committee consists of at least 5 members and in addition to university representatives, specialty experts from companies may also be included. During the final stage, each category is evaluated by a different committee. Committee decisions are taken on the basis of a discussion. All decisions accepted by the committee cannot be appealed in neither of the stages.
All final papers presented to the competition will be evaluated on the following key points: establishment and comprehensibility of the assignment(s), technical realization of the solutions presented, their accuracy, originality and novelty. Presentation skills are also evaluated.
7. Acknowledgement of the best theses
A winner for each category will be chosen from the presented theses in the final stage. Exception is the BSc level software category, where the committee has the right to choose up to two best theses. In addition, the evaluating committee has a right to give out a special prize in each category. The committee also has a right to not give out the special prize with a valid justifications.
Each category winner is awarded with a scholarship of 500€. The special prize is 200€ for BSc and 300€ for MSc. ICT thesis competition scholarship fund is 4300€.
The scholarship fund has been co-financed by the following organizations: AS Kühne + Nagel, AS Swedbank and Study IT in Estonia Programme.
In addition to the overall scholarship fund, there is an additional company-named scholarship and a special award:
- the amount of the scholarship is 500€;
- the purpose of the grant is to highlight the theses that deal with hardware topics;
- the scholarship is awarded as an undivided amount to one student;
- the grant is given to a successful thesis of MSc hardware and systems category.
Nortal special award:
- the special award is a two-day pass to the Topconf Tallinn conference worth of 384€;
- Topconf Tallinn is Estonia's biggest conference for software developers, in addition to development-related topics, it also addressed architecture, project management and software-related topics.
- the special award is given to an innovative and comprehensive thesis in the MSc software category, which will create significant value and is applicable in today's software development process;
- the special award is given out to one student;
In case of the additional scholarships/award from entrepreneurs, the decision is made by the funder of the scholarship/award or by their authorized representative. The company has a right to not give out the scholarship or award with a valid justification.
- 19th of May (extended) - submitting formal application with the supervisor’s cover letter and thesis*;
1st - 16th of May – period for submitting formal application, supervisor’s cover letter and thesis*;
- 30th of May - organizers announce who has qualified (or not qualified) to the final stage;
- 1st of June – submit defence speech slideshow and the updated version of the thesis** digitally to iktkonkurss at ttu dot ee;
- 2nd of June – ICT thesis contest (final stage).
* Does not have to be the final version of the thesis, but it has to include a clear research assignment, its solution, main conclusions and propositions.
** In case you have updated your thesis paper significantly compared to the version presented on May 16th.
Documents (supervisor’s cover letter, thesis, presentation) should be submitted via TUT Development Fund’s web form. The documents must be in pdf format and named as follows: “code of curriculum_first name_last name_cover letter/thesis_title of the thesis/presentation”.
Competition results will be announced on 2nd of June by the end of the day and also will be published on the competition’s website.
The competition is organized by the TUT Faculty of Information Technology with Information Technology Foundation for Education's IT Academy programme.