Cyber Security Engineering
The integration of computers and information technology solutions into other systems is growing at an explosive rate – think about, for example, the Internet of Things, smart houses or self-driving cars. Nationally vital IT systems, be it the electricity infrastructure or the communication network controlled by information technology, are also extremely important.
The safety of cyberspace affects the functioning of the real world increasingly more. If you would like to be the guardian and officer of the cyber world, come study Cyber Security Engineering!
LEVEL OF STUDYBachelor’s
STUDY LOAD180 ECTS (view curriculum)
MODE OF STUDYFull-time study
The curriculum of Cyber Security Engineering gives you the knowledge and skills necessary to make IT-systems malware-proof, as well as teach you which means to use against cyberattacks.
The curriculum is broad-based and practically oriented, which means that all theoretical knowledge acquired in the courses is strongly supported by practical study. At least half of the course capacity is made up of labs or practice lessons, in which students can go through all the steps of setting up and securing the network and services of a company. Labs are mostly carried out by specialists of the field and many elective subjects help broaden general knowledge.
After graduating, you will be able to independently design, implement and maintain IT-systems that follow security requirements:
- you will understand the life span of an information system;
- you will master the basics of information system administration, including development and testing environments;
- you will know how to programme, test and implement an information system from the viewpoint of security and maintainability;
- you will know how to perform security testing for an information system based on set standards and the best practice;
- you will know how to implement processes guaranteeing the security of information systems and will be capable of taking part in developing and improving them;
- last but not least, you will follow ethical norms in your professional activity.
The curriculum allows daytime learning and the teaching language is English.
In the courses of networking, students will go from the basics of adjusting networks and learning the terminology to ensuring the security of complicated networks. Therefore, a student who passes the course will not only know network topologies, but can also plan and adjust them and guarantee their security. Additionally, there is an option to obtain the respective certificate that is valued among Estonian employers as well as the rest of the world.
One of the main activities of a cyber security specialist is keeping an eye on the network and computers as well as detecting and blocking any unusual or malicious activity. In Logging and System Monitoring, you will learn what and how to observe in the network traffic to detect a possible cyberattack quickly.
This subject provides the knowledge necessary to develop a cyber security programme and the skills to analyse cyber risks and manage cyber incidents.
The ability to code is elementary in IT, therefore you will learn three programming languages among the following within the field of cyber security engineering: Java, C#, Python, Ruby, C, C++
The 3 year (180 ECTS) curriculum comprises the following modules:
- Basic Skills (24 ECTS)
- Fundamentals of Information Technology (63 ECTS)
- Cyber Security (21 ECTS)
- IT Systems Administration (18 ECTS)
- IT Systems Development (18 ECTS)
- Internship (24 ECTS)
- Free Choice Courses (6 ECTS)
- Graduation Thesis (6 ECTS)
Download full curriculum (PDF)
Why this specialty?
- The curriculum of Cyber Security Engineering is the only international Bachelor’s degree curriculum that provides graduates with a strong foundation in the field of IT and cyber security
Once you have successfully completed your studies, you will have the skills necessary to find errors made during the setup of computer networks and devices, organise the cyber security of an institution, implement the best practices, etc. You will be able to work as an IT specialist, for example, and as you gain more experience, become a member of the computer emergency readiness team.
For better and more exciting opportunities in the job market, we suggest you continue your studies at the Master’s level in the field of cyber security. That way, you can later work as a Chief Security Officer.
Possibilities for working abroad
The knowledge acquired in the field is universal and you can work in Estonia as well as abroad.
For each programme you apply to, an individual motivation letter must be inserted.
- Please include following:
- Why are you interested in the field of information technology (IT)?
- Why did you choose Estonia and TalTech IT College for your future studies?
- What are the reasons for you to choose a career in cyber security?
- Do you work? For how long and in which field?
- Name the programming languages in which you have written at least 1000 lines of code.
- Name the operating systems that you have installation experience with.
- Describe your previous experience and competencies related to IT – e.g. your works and projects, skills you have mastered at training courses or by yourself, online IT courses you have passed, free and open-source software projects you have participated in, list of Github, Bitbucket and other social coding repositories, etc.
- If you do not have previous IT experience, please show your motivation by participating in at least one online course about programming, such as Codecademy Python http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/python. Once you have passed the course, please add a screenshot of your profile data showing the level of the passed course.
- List your achievements in other fields, e.g. participating in contests in Mathematics and Physics.
- Write about your interests and social activities.
Grading scale: 0-10
The test contains five exercises based on logic, algorithmic thinking and generally recognized basic mathematics at a typical international high school level.
Candidate will have 4 hours to complete the test.
Only candidates who have succesfully passed the Moodle test will be invited to the online interview.
Grading scale: 0-10
The interview is a personal interview which explains your wishes - why you decided to learn cyber security engineering, as well as why you want to do it in Tallinn, Estonia during our bachelor's programme.
Grading scale: 0-10
Students for TalTech international study programmes are admitted based on the admission threshold. The maximum score for each part is 10 points. An applicant who receives the minimum of 6 points for each part is admitted.
TalTech international admissions office
TalTech international admissions office provides general advice to prospective Bachelor’s and Master’s degree applicants and their advisers about applying to and studying at TalTech University.
Student counsellor at School of Information Technologies
Student counsellor at School of Information Technologies can help you
with questions about the study programme.
(+372) 628 5830
Contact a Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador can help you with questions about living in Estonia, travelling to Estonia, work and housing options or free time activities for students.